Sunday, March 1, 2009

Learning Facebook

When I first joined Facebook, I thought it was just a social networking tool. As Karen blogged, it definitely is a powerful one. I have also learned that you can do so much more. I'm involved in daily pillow fights, and I just added good reads to my profile. You need to go to www.goodreads.com to sign up, and then you can link it to your facebook and your friends can join. It is a place to list and rank books you have read, are reading or will read. Your friends can comment on your evaluations of the books and vice versa. As all tools these days, there is more it can do that I have yet to discover but it has been fun enough so far.

I was talking to a student the other day about how glad I am that I joined facebook. This is how they communicate, and now I am aware of what is available to them. Student council and DECA both have groups to get information to students. I feel that it is an important tool for teachers and one that we need to understand because our students have mastered it and use it every day.

PS-I'm up to 32 friends:)

1 comment:

Connie said...

I was just blogging about Thing 13 and asked if anyone were using Facebook for professional networking--using it for class. Now I'm reading your post on how DECA and Student Council have formed groups on Facebook. Do they have many students joining their groups?